The Kahikatea Services within Kahungunu Health Services – Choices is a partnership between Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections) specifically targeting the reintegration of tāne and wāhine whilst on sentence at Hawke’s Bay Regional Prison or Community based, who whakapapa to the Kahungunu and Tairāwhiti rohe. However, some tāne and wāhine receiving the service are from other areas of the North Island.
The Kahikatea Services operates the following 4 programmes which encompass a range of support required by tāne / wāhine and whānau within their community of choice.
- Te Whare Oranga Ake
- 24-bed unit based outside, Hawke’s Bay Regional Prison
- Designed for tāne who are serving sentences of more than two years
- Te Hokinga Mai (Out of Gate)
- Community-based support service
- Designed for tāne and wāhine who are serving sentences of less than two years
- Te Hiringa (supported accommodation)
- 24/7 supported service
- Te Whare Hāpai Tangata (Youth programme)
- Delivered in prison and community
- Tāne age range 17-24
All programmes are based upon the specific aspirations of the tāne / wāhine and their whānau and are centred on the following five pou:
- Te Pae Tiakitanga
- Personal achievements (driving lessons, photo identification, banking)
- Te Pae Āhuru Mōwai
- Safe / secure living environment (Supported accommodation / rentals)
- Te Pae Whakapapa
- Supported relationships / Whānau connections
- Te Pae Ōhanga
- Sustainable employment / training
- Te Pae Hononga
- Community connections (health providers, sports clubs)
The length of engagement throughout the programmes is dependent on the support required by each tāne / wāhine and their whānau.
Te Whare Oranga Ake - ‘The house of continuing wellness’
Te Hokinga Mai - Out of Gate Reintegration Service
Te Hiringa - Supported Accommodation Service
Paiheretia Te Muka Tangata - Reintegration Support Service
Te Whare Hāpai Tangata - ‘The house which uplifts people’
Contact your Case Managers / Probation Officers for further information.