Te Whare Hāpai Tangata
The house which uplifts people
Te Whare Hāpai Tangata is a medium-intensity youth programme conducted in partnership with Kahungunu Health Services – Choices and Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections) specifically targeting tāne aged between 19-24 serving community and prison-based sentences.
The programme is 12 weeks and combines Māori models, such as Te Whare Tapa Wha, Te Tuakiri O Te Tangata and Psychological models. The aim of the programme is to:
- Support young men to explore their identity
- Develop skills required to live a good life and resist offending
- Pūrākau are used to strengthen the skills and learning developed
- Experiential activities (outside the classroom) guide the new knowledge and skills relevant to the individual and group needs
- Strong wraparound / reintegration component which includes whānau engagement, housing, employment, and other individual/group needs
The programme has 6 modules / kaupapa.
- Tinana and
- Weaving it all together
Want to know more? Contact their Case Manager / Probation Officer for further information.