Sexual Health & Reproduction
At Choices, we specialize in sexual health and contraception within our Flaxmere Clinic, and with small steps, we are slowly reopening our Hastings Clinic. We will see clients and whānau of any age, but we do prioritize our Māori and Pacifica whānau.
Sexual Health and Healthy Relationships
We provide information, testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs). This includes:
- Self-swabbing of genitals for wāhine (chlamydia, gonorrhoea, and trichomonas)
- Urine testing for tāne (chlamydia and gonorrhoea)
- Blood samples for STI testing (HIV, syphilis, HepB, and HepC. This test is recommended to do once a year.)
- Urinary Tract Infections (bladder infection or cystitis) can be tested and treated
- Thrush or candida can be tested and treated
- Bacterial vaginosis (B.V) can be tested and treated
- We can help identify, educate, and treat herpes (herpes simplex virus or HSV)
- We can help identify HPV (human papillomavirus) and we can immunize
- If a young person has had their first dose of Gardasil (HPV immunisation) before their 26th birthday we can give all three doses for free
Contraception and Planned Parenting
We stock fully subsidized contraceptives providing access to these contraceptives to our clients by appointment. These include:
- Progestogen-only pill (mini pill)
- Combined oral contraceptive
- Depo Provera (the jab)
- The Jadelle implant (rods)
- Condoms (no appointment necessary, these are free at reception)
- We also provide the emergency contraceptive pill (known as the “morning after pill” or “ECP”)
All contraceptives require appointments, and we evaluate each situation to provide the best contraception based on your needs and the requirements of the contraceptive.
Pregnancy tests are available to do onsite for free.
If long-acting reversible contraceptives need to be removed for planned parenting or health reasons or you just want them out, we can remove them. These include Jadelle, Mirena or IUD.